Yes, that is Chris playing hackysack...
Matthew's medical exam pictures...and getting ready for the day!
Well, today marks Day 18 of our trip and we are certainly feeling it! Yesterday was Matthew's medical exam and everything seemed to go just fine. It was an interesting experience to say the least, but he did very well! His weight according to them with clothes and shoes on was a little over 26 pounds and his height was 32.5 inches, but we aren't sure that is right. We will see next week when we go see our pediatrician and have him weighed and measured. The doctors looked in his eyes and ears, and checked his arms and chest out and then we were on our way out. Lucy and I worked on our consulate paperwork in the room and Daddy and Matthew played for a while in the Swan Room. Then, we had a big dinner at the Italian restaurant again, this time with 13 people! Matthew ate a huge bowl of spaghetti and had a great time with all of his new girlfriends here! He actually went to bed before 10pm and Chris and I didn't know what to think of that!!!
We were so hopeful this morning that we could have our consulate appointment moved up and our guide Lucy was all ready to go this morning with all of our stuff - but it didn't happen. She apparently was told that they didn't receive an email from our agency in enough time this morning to make things work and the only way they could push things through was for us to have a family emergency and we certainly are thankful that is not the case with us!
We were disappointed at first, but then realized that it obviously wasn't meant to be so we made a plan for the day. We decided to venture out on our own today and take a cab into Guangzhou to the shopping area. We have been trying to stretch the Huggies we had bought last week, but now we needed to buy more and just wanted to wander around. We forgot our camera which we were bummed about because it was great fun and we saw some great sights! It was kind of like a mini Times Square in New York City complete with big screen TVs on the buildings and everything! Matthew had a lot of fun, and he loves shopping which Mommy is so happy about! We are getting tired of the people staring at us though and pointing at Matthew! That will be a blessing to be done with that! We asked our guide about the staring and she said people are "curious" - but if we hear one more time - "Chinese boy?" and have the wicked stares, I think we might go off the deep end! (not really, but fun to say!)We didn't buy much but the necessaties while we were out, but enjoyed lunch out and checking out the sights!
Matthew fell asleep in the taxi on the way back to the hotel and that was a good thing because traffic was horrible. He continued his nap at the hotel for about an hour, and then we played in the playroom for a while, and the "Beijing" families with Amy and her dad Tony went to the Thai restaurant for dinner which was very good. The kids did great and Matthew was able to use his little fork and get noodles on it tonight! He also ate a piece of broccoli which was actually kind of amusing....he's such a good eater, we are so thankful for that!
After a little shopping, or "bargaining" as Chris puts it, we let Matthew play for a while and then thought it would be bedtime....hahahahaha! Matthew thinks bedtime is giggle time! There is no way Chris and I can be stern about bedtime 1) in a hotel, 2) when he is so darned cute and 3) when we catch ourselves laughing so hard at him laughing and giggling so hard!!! We know it will be different when we get home, but we can't help but savor every little moment we have as a new family together! There is plenty of time for sleep and rules when we get home :)
Oh, home - that sounds like such a nice word! 3 more nights of a hard bed and "stiff necks" in the morning! We can have some food we are used to, iced tea again, and have ice cubes in our drinks! Most importantly, we can be surrounded by our friends and family and start the next part of our journey with Matthew back in good old Pennsylvania!
Enjoy the videos of Daddy playing hackysack and the Roslevege bedtime!















5 comments:
Y'know, I watch that video of Matthew and all I can think is: Just look how HAPPY he is!
He is a blessed little boy!
Wendi
Oh, was that the Cow and Bridge Thai? I've heard that is so good. Maybe I'll finally make it there next time...
Hard beds can be so miserable, I'm praying that God makes them feel better for you tonight!
Was that the Cow and Bridge? I've heard it is so yummy, but haven't gone there myself. Maybe next time...
Hard beds can cause misery, I'll be praying that God gives you better rest tonight despite the mattress. Sorry that you didn't get to move up the consulate appointment, but I'm sure God has a fun surprise in store for you!
That takes some total skill there, Uncle Chris!!
Well, I would just like to let you know that you were the talk of my class yesterday (Tuesday). Remember how I told you we are now learning about China and all? well, there was a part about the lives of the families and stuff and someone asked if the women were still treated an less superior to the men. then, my teacher was like I don't know. So, i was like yes they are. So he asked me about it and I said how Aunt Melissa doesn't get a menu and how Uncle Chris does the shopping. So of course, he made me stand up and announce all of it to the class. Haha, it was pretty funny. Hope you have a good dayy!!
Love all three of you :]
I know this is two post...but I had to comment on the "ballerina" picture of Chris! You have a second career waiting for you if you need it. :) Great pic twinkle toes!
Post a Comment