Wow, since we did a post before we went out yesterday, I almost forgot today was Tuesday...oh, how the days have started to run together! We had a nice, lazy day yesterday unpacking the room and then we went outside and enjoyed the warm weather wandering around the island. Everyone here is so friendly, and it's nice to be able to talk to some other people! Lots of children, but Matthew was the only boy we saw until today. And, it's very interesting when the Chinese people look at us and him and say "oh, Chinese boy...he very lucky." We think we are the lucky ones because he is such a treat.
We had some lunch sitting outside, and then wandered the riverfront. We watched some men fishing and Matthew had fun picking up leaves off of the ground. He gathered up a bunch of them and then went in search of a trash can! We have to work on that habit and make sure he realizes he doesn't always have to pick things up and throw them out - must have been a learned habit in the orphanage. It was nice just having him outside enjoying the fresh air. We then checked out the hotel and played in the Mattel playroom for a long time which he loved. He was so cute, and he was sharing with the other kids in the room. Very interesting to watch the interactions amongst the children. We thought for sure he would go to sleep after a busy day, but he didn't give in until after 9pm. He had refused to nap even though he was so tired and we know we just have to wait until we get home and get a good routine going. We also wonder if he is afraid if he goes to sleep and stops playing we won't be here when he wakes up. The first thing he does in the morning is touch both Chris and I and smile. It's priceless. After Matthew finally fell asleep, Chris and I had our meltdown and just had emotional moments wanting to come home. We miss everyone so much and want to share our baby with you all! We can't thank you all enough for keeping in touch with comments, emails, and skype calls as they mean the world to us. Even though we haven't gotten back to all of you, please know how much it means that you are thinking of us and traveling this journey with us. We just run out of steam once Matthew goes to bed, and then it's time to go again :)
Today was a delightful day. We had a great breakfast and then met Lucy for some sightseeing. She took us to Baiyun Cableway, and we rode a cable car to the top of the mountain in Guangzhou. It was breathtaking and Matthew loved it. He was a little nervous at first, but then he was busy pointing at everything he saw. At the top of the mountain, we got out and started walking our way down. It was like a zoo all the way down with a bird sanctuary, peacocks, a bird show complete with birds roller skating and bowling. There were ostriches and all kinds of different birds in cages. Very cool and Matthew loved it! It was very hot out today and Matthew wasn't used to that (nor was Mommy and Daddy) so we took lots of water breaks and Matthew napped in my arms for almost an hour. Lucy is amazing, and was so easygoing, talkative, and great with us! So refreshing for us - and it was a wonderful morning. She then took us to a HUGE shopping mall/store so we could get some things for Matthew that we needed including diapers, wipes, formula, cereal, water, and some snacks and drinks for Chris and I! It was a beautiful store and Lucy was so awesome to take us there vs. us trying to things on our own in 7-11 on the island!
We then headed back to the island and hotel, got Matthew some lunch and we thought for sure he might nap! Haha, no luck there so we headed to the playroom and let him play for hours. He did really well and enjoyed himself. We then took a walk outside, Daddy got a coffee from Starbucks, then we headed back to the room. Matthew ate his dinner, took a bath, and was out cold within seconds! It's only 7pm here so we hope and pray he sleeps through the night, because he is so tired and we have another day of sightseeing tomorrow, We also pray he stays sleeping so we can too get some good rest and maybe watch some TV or something tonight to just relax and unwind a little! We are definitely tired keeping up with our little man. He is too wonderful and busy!!!! He loves to explore, point to the Koi fish and waterfalls in the hotel. He is learning to slap us 5, and roll his arms around. It's so fun watching him do things for the first time. We are looking forward to hearing those first words out of his mouth though! He certainly tried hard and makes noises, but no words yet! Just that crazy, contagious giggle that we love to hear!!!He is also living going from Mommy and Daddy and he has learned now that he loves to play with Mommy's hair, but we have to work on him not pulling it so hard :)
As far as our adventures tomorrow, we aren't sure where we are headed but we know we are going to a dumpling restaurant for lunch with Lucy, shopping for a traditional outfit for Matthew, and the rest will be a surprise! Thursday will then be on our own and then Friday and Saturday busy days again we think! Then we will be starting the count down to coming home with our baby! THe great thing about being here so long is that the bonding with Matthew seems to be going unbelievably well and he certainly seems to like us a lot and trust us which is awesome! Each day gets better and better - he makes our hearts melt on a continuous basis!
Have a great day at home everyone - we love you all!















8 comments:
Isn't Guangzhou wonderful. That is great that you are getting to do some siteseeing there - we never got to do that as we were never there long enough. I am sure that it is nice to have the warm weather. Lucy is great - we had her our second trip. She is so pretty. I know that you are anxious to come home but once you get home you will yearn to go back so enjoy it! Are you going to go swimming? Isn't the pool beautiful? Is it warm enough to swim? I am so happy that he is such a happy kiddo and that it has made your trip so wonderful. That was my experience both times and I so wanted that for you guys! Chris looks like he is just having such a wonderful time being a daddy! He is a natural!! Well, continue to soak it all in and have fun! I miss it so much and can't wait to take the girls back again someday!! Can't wait to see him when you get back!! It won't be long! Love, Amy
Although tired..you all look so happy! Good to see you might be feeling better Melissa.
You are so wise to keep loving on that sweet baby now and then worry about routines back home. I know you are anxious to return to the states, but soak up this sweet time, trust me, you will look back on it with such fondness later (and it won't be quite the same if/when you go back for a second child).
We didn't do the cable car ride, so it is fun to see things that we didn't get to experience. I hope you enjoy the dumpling restaurant, take pictures of the place, I'm wondering if it is one that was near our hotel on our first trip.
Matthew is looking so comfortable with you ~ LOVE the picture of you holding him in the carrier!
I'm anxiously awaiting for your next post, and praying that you all sleep well tonight!
Melissa,
Glad things are going better for you. As I was reading your post, I was fine until you said Matthew loves playing with your hair. Then and only then did I break down. I am sorry to post sad things to you, but I am so happy for you to get to enjoy your baby as much as I enjoyed mine. I think I have some emotional problems going on and I just cant wait to see Matthew in person and give him a great big hug. And you and Chris too. Talk to you soon.
Love to you all and I am still jealous about the weather you have.
Jamie
I am tired just reading your posts!! Your guide is keeping you very busy, which is good, but you sure sound in need of an evening just hanging out. :) You can almost say you have one week left. YEAH!! It will be here before you know it- hang in there!
What a cute little snippet of a video--his laugh is just great. Can I use it for my cell phone ring or something? I just love it!
Melissa and Chris! He is so beautiful - congratulations. Looks like he is transitioning well. Finally found the xmas card with your blog address and was amazed to see the pix from today. We definately how to catch up soon. Enjoy the rest of your trip - and have a safe journey home. Love, Dawn & Brian
Would you believe we just learned bout this place today???
Post a Comment