Saturday, February 28, 2009

First week-end in Harrisburg - yeah!

Forget cutting up the bananas anymore...he likes to eat them like this!!!




Out and about with my new hat, and in Target!!!



Playing after tubby time, and still wiping his nose!








The living room will never look the same.....and Smokey hiding in amongst the toys!!!


Helping Daddy with the pet gate!!!






As I write this, I must say that this week has gone by way too fast!!! Actually, now that we look back on things, the past 4 weeks have gone by too fast! When we were in China, especially around day 16-18, we thought that time was crawling, but now we want to stop the clock as we don't want Chris's time off to end because this family time is just amazing for all of us! He heads back to work on Monday and Mommy sure is going to miss her other half!!!!

We had a nice visit with Chris's parents on Thursday....Chris's Mom got to meet him for the first time, and of course he seemed to steal her heart. She got to read him some books and play for a little while. Around noon, I realized that I had forgotten to read Matthew's PPD and when I did, it was positive....I guess he really did get the TB vaccine in China! So I put a call into the pediatrician and they wanted him to come in for a measurement and a chest Xray....kind of interrupted our visit with Chris's parents, but we went to a diner for a nice lunch before we headed back to the hospital. Matthew feasted on noodles from "Baba and Pap-Pap's" soup bowls, chicken, and french fries. He kept putting his little hands out for more fries from PapPap and he got them :)

After lunch, he fell asleep in the car on the way to Hershey, and slept through the doctor checking his arm and didn't wake up until we had to strip his shirt off for his chest xray. What a confusing way for him to wake up! He did well with his chest xray though, then we were on our way. What a week this little guy has had! He actually slept the best Thursday night that he had all week though....

Yesterday, we headed to my Mom's for a short visit and to pick up the cats. Matthew actually slept until 8am so we didn't leave until a little after 9 to hop on the turnpike. Matthew was awake the whole ride and seemed mesmerized looking at everything. He was so excited to see his Mom-Mom, Uncle Dave, and Aunt Megs and he greeted each of them with a huge smile and that cute little wave of his. My Mom was also having some landscaping work done, and he even waved to those workers too! He's not a friendly kid or anything!!!! We had a nice lunch together, played some, Matthew took an hour long nap which was great, we played some more, and then it was time to pack up and head back home....

We cornered the 2 cats in one of the spare bedrooms and managed to catch them in a short period of time. Poor Charlie REALLY gets carsick so Chris usually holds him, but Smokey likes the carrier and doesn't mind traveling. Once we got the cats, Mom-MOm and Aunt Megs were getting Matthew into the car, and then we were off. Boy was there a lot of testosterone in that car - I am so outnumbered now! The Roslevege "zoo" was on their way to Harrisburg - a Mommy, Daddy, baby boy, and 2 male cats!!!! Poor Charlie got sick twice on the way home so we had 2 unexpected stops but we still made it back before 6pm which was good. Now, it's going to be an interesting transition for the poor cats with an excited almost 2 year old grabbing at them all of the time! I was very impressed though with the cats and how gentle they were with him. When we were reading books at bedtime, they both came into Matthew's bedroom and joined us and Smokey slept under Matthew's bed all night last night.

Rough night last night with sleeping - poor little guy was up pretty much every 1-2 hours just crying out. Once we held him, he went right back to sleep.....hopefully tonight will be better for him, and for us in turn :)

When I did get up for the day this morning, I could barely swallow and had a lot of pain in my right ear, neck, and throat....bleh! The sore throat was here yesterday, but I thought it would just go away. When I peeked in the mirror with a flashlight, I had a very red throat with white stuff there so I knew I'd be headed to the doctor today....Matthew also started with a little runny nose today, so who knows what germs we picked up over the past few weeks???

Chris took Matthew out for a walk in the stroller when I was gone and he wore his new Penn State hat he got from our friend Amy - must say he looked pretty handsome with it on! It took a few days of playing with it, but now he will keep it on no problem! When I got back we ran to Target to pick up some medicine, then to Pet Smart to try and get a cat door or a pet gate for the basement steps. The basement is where the little boxes are, but we can't keep the door open with Matthew so we are trying to figure out what to do with that. Chris is reading up now on both of them to see what would be better for Matthew's safety and the cats comfort. They both did so well today, and so did Matthew. He just needs to learn not to grab at their faces, but that will come one day at a time.

Mommy and Daddy are both very tired tonight.....I hope Chris doesn't get whatever I have right now especially with going back to work on Monday. Matthew certainly passed another food test tonight with mixed veggies, my grandmother's special mashed potato casserole, and my sister's favorite chicken casserole! He loved everything AND I got a little applesauce into him! What a good boy! He is really starting to get better and better with his utensils every day - so impressive! AND, we are moving along in the teeth brushing area, he is doing it all by himself now, such a big boy! He is curled up right now in his blanket Sandy made him watching Elmo before book time and bed - every time I look at him, I can't help but smile and be so very thankful for being a Mommy to such a precious child.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pray the test come out clean. Oh I pray. He is so adorable...and if it's possible more so everyday! I have to say, the Penn State picture is my favorite!! He's a natural fan, I can see that. Good to see the update...so sorry you're sick...I'll pray you get better soon, especially with Chris back to work on Monday! Has it been 4 weeks, wow how time flys!

Love,
Lisa A

Anonymous said...

Looks like adjusting isn't a problem at all. Can't wait to meet this little guy! He seems easy enough for me to take care of :)
Love youuu!

Lisa said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are all adjusting well. Nights can be tricky for most families at first but it usually doesn't take long to get into a routine.

I'll be praying for test results, sleep patterns and sore throats!

Kristi said...

I relate so well to so much of this post ~ and yes, good thing you realize that the living room will never be the same...
Must say that I'm jealous of how many different things Matthew is eating. We're still working on that department!