
Thinking about Matthew’s birthday actually took me on a self reflective journey of where I have been over the past year. Matthew’s birthday last year was a complete whirlwind. Why? Well, we had just been home from China a few weeks, I was a BRAND new Mom, I had just learned that my child was deaf and had multiple other medical needs, and really – I had no idea really who Matthew was! I knew I was in love with him, and I knew he was my son. However, what a gift this past year has been – AND what a different person I am one year later as I CELEBRATED my son’s 3rd birthday!
One year later, the shock and awe that I felt on Matthew’s birthday(and for many months following) was replaced with absolute excitement and joy! We started the week-end off on Matthew’s actual birthday which was Friday with a trip to Matthew’s neurologist! Well, we really started the day off with lots of hugs and kisses from Mommy and Daddy – but you didn’t really need to know that! Matthew’s neurologist was SO excited to see him, and it was such a fun visit. It’s amazing to me how I felt too, sitting at that appt. I wasn’t the stressed out, emotional Mom that first sat in this office months ago getting lousy MRI results, bringing Matthew in when he couldn’t stand or walk, bringing video clips of his movement disorders, discussing seizures, EEG’s, abnormal test results! I wasn’t full of anxiety or tears, instead I was taking Matthew’s picture as he was reading a book in the waiting room and then laughing as he wow’d the doctor with the changes he has been through. A year ago, I couldn’t comprehend all of these “diagnoses”, and now a movement disorder with a stable, abnormal brain MRI, makes me so happy! I love stable, and I do love our “normal” life now. I know that Matthew’s neurological stuff comes, but I also know now that he has good days AND good nights too. We take the good with the bad, and we are happy to say we are controlling things pretty well with Benadryl every night and some MelatoninJ More about that in a bit….
After our fun neurology appt, it was off to meet Daddy for lunch at the mall. We got there early and walked the mall checking out the stores. Matthew is LOVING the stroller these days, and Mommy was loving that in a huge way since she managed to break 2 toes that morning while getting ready for the day….yes, dumb! But, we then had a lovely birthday lunch with Daddy – and he loved his pizza! He also loved dancing in the food court at the mall. We get a lot of looks and stares with Matthew’ cochlear implant equipment, but there was a cute, little girl about 3-4 years old that pointed at Matthew’s head – and said, “Mommy, what is that on his head?” and her Mommy responded, “He needs that so he can hear his Mommy and Daddy talk” and that just melted Chris and I’s hearts. What an awesome explanation! After a birthday treat of ice cream, we left Daddy and it was time for a hair cut for Matthew, then grocery shopping with Mommy for the party. Matthew did so well out shopping, and he was exhausted by the time we got home. Matthew napped while Mommy started cooking, and before we knew it playtime, dinner, and bath time were over and it was time for bed.
Chris and I spent a long time Friday night talking about the people that are such an important part of our lives. We have been blessed in immeasurable ways this past year, and we are so thankful for everyone that is a part of our lives, whether in person or across the country. We wanted Matthew’s party this year to be a celebration of him and his life, and that is just what it was. Every single person that was coming to his party has been a huge part of his and our lives, and each and every person there KNOWS Matthew and us so well. We are SURROUNDED with love, and are so thankful. We made 2 posters of pictures of everyone coming to the party with Matthew and had a little note there from him thanking everyone for loving him so much. It was fun to do, and was a great opportunity for Chris and I to reflect on all we are thankful for.
The weather was great, the party was amazing, and it was an unforgettable day. I was truly numb for Matthew’s party last year and I remember my heart breaking when everyone sang to him and I was devastated because he couldn’t hear us singing to him. Well, there is no doubt he knows how loved and how celebrated he was this year. He got to play outside, eat with his favorite people, hug his family and friends, open amazing gifts, and just have the best day. Our house was FULL of laughter and positive energy and emotions – it is really hard to describe. There were no tears, no what if’s……..just reflections of what has happened and how lucky we are to be parents of this amazing little boy.
This now THREE year old little boy that we know so well……..that we chose trucks, trains, and airplanes to celebrate with because he loves them so much. This little boy that turns his head every single time he hears the sound sssshhhhhh(another post coming just for the hearing stuff). This little boy that hugs you so tight you feel like you are suffocating sometimes………This little boy that has touched so many lives, and brought so much joy to those around him……………This little boy is our Matthew, and we love him more than you could ever imagine!!! Happy 3rd Birthday Matthew!















5 comments:
What a lovely post for his third birthday! It definitely was a good day to celebrate, and I know you were so blessed to have those people who love Matthew so much celebrate with you. You and Chris are such gracious people, and the fact that you take time to talk about how others have blessed you says so much about who you are! I love you all and am glad to be considered one of your friends! Happy Birthday Matthew!
Oh Melissa--such an amazing post. I think all too often we just keep doing our day to day and forget to reflect on the good, bad and ugly of what we've just come through and with that reflection discover some things about ourselves we didn't know while wading through it. So...yes...this is an amazing birthday. And I love the celebrating his life--and all the thanks and lovin' returned. It's so YOU and Chris! And it's why you are such amazing parents--amazing examples--and the perfect pick to be Matthews parents.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATTHEW!
I just have to say, I remember that birthday post--and as I was looking at the pictures from the last post--I was reflecting on your year together as well! Of course what you were facing was HUGE, VERY HUGE, but for some reason, I just knew it was do-able by YOU--and only YOU (Melissa and Chris). I've said this before and I continue to believe--God really did know what he was doing when he matched you with this beautiful precious little boy! I'm regularly inspired by you!
Here's to another great year--the good, bad and the ugly--we'll take it all with our little ones--over and over again.
Beautifully written! Happy 3rd Birthday Matthew!!! You are a very loved little guy!!!
Happy Happy Birthday Handsome sweet boy. I am so glad you had such a special day!! I know we as parents marvel at how blessed we are by these great kids who on the other side of the world were created to be ours!!! They are MUCH to be celebrated!
Melissa, I'm just getting caught up on reading and this post just made my night! How blessed Matthew is that he was placed in your home. I'm afraid there are others who would have stayed numb after all they learned, but you have embraced all of Matthew. Oh how I hope to get to your area this summer and actually get to know in person the family I have come to love online!
Happy, happy birthday to sweet Matthew!
Post a Comment