Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Forever Family Day...what a gift!


For whatever reason, I am finding it hard this year to put into words all of the emotions I feel as I reflect on our 2nd Forever Family Day, which is today. (Well, it is in China time, and that's what CHris and I are counting right now!!!) February 2, 2009 was by far one of the most amazing moments of my life. It was the day that I met my precious son who I'd prayed for, thought about, and loved so very much from the very first time I had laid eyes on his picture. Little did I know though about the emotions I would feel as I saw him in person for the very first time.

It was chaotic in the room with another child crying, paperwork being thrown at us to sign, and then in walked the most beautiful, perfect little boy in the world looking around like he had no idea what was going on. 2 of the staff members were holding his little hands, but then he walked over to me and let me pick him up right away. He was dressed in a red coat, puffy split pants :) and big red shoes. That was my moment, my labor after months and months of waiting and anticipating and this was it, I was really a Mom! There was a single tear that fell down Matthew's cheek which broke my heart, but then this precious child of mine was running around the room chasing his Daddy, checking out his backpack and eating snacks, and just having the time of his life. His nose was running and his eyes were glassy but yet - his little face just lit up time and time again throughout the day.

I remember thinking - ok, what in the world do we do now? We were dropped off at the hotel with a 22 month old baby and Chris and I had no idea how to be a Mom and Dad. Matthew made that transition so easy for us...and our first day together was such a gift, and a beginning of an amazing journey as a FAMILY!!! We got to experience so many firsts together in our 22 days in China, and especially over the past 2 years.

There are no books you can read to prepare you for the emotions that having a child does to you. Your whole life changes, your perspectives change, your purpose changes, and it's like this new person is born for the first time again. It's like being parents made Chris and I come to life in such an amazing way.

Matthew - there are no words enough to tell you how much you are loved. 2 years feels like such a short period of time, but yet we feel like you've been a part of our lives forever. You make us laugh. You make us smile. Sometimes you make us frustrated :) You make our hearts ache when we see you hurting. You give us energy, you make us tired! You make me a better person. You teach me about love and the importance of always helping others. You are so wise beyond your years, but yet your story and your journey makes me whole. There is nothing I love more than being your Mommy and sharing life every day with you and your Daddy. We are a perfect forever family that have always been meant to be together. God surely knew what He was doing when he joined us together. I love you so very much, and it has been so amazing growing as a family these past 2 years. Watching our China videos of our first few weeks of being a family together tonight has been a gift too. You are the best things that has ever happened to us! Happy Forever Family Day Matthew and to my dear husband and life partner! I love you both more than I could ever tell you both!!!

6 comments:

Julie said...

Love the pictures. I have thought about you a lot recently-probably for the same reason. I tried to email you a couple of times, but I must have the wrong email. Email me when you get the chance jkkler@yahoo.com. We may be coming to the Hershey area sometime this summer. Would love to meet up.

Laurie said...

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!! Can't wait for the next one! Yahoo!!!

Kristi said...

Aww! Happy forever family day guys! It is life changing, isn't it?
Matthew, you are so blessed to have a mommy and daddy that love you to the moon and back. And Melissa and Chris, what a joyous blessing that you were chosen ~ out of all the couples in the world ~ to parent this amazing little guy!
God sure knows what He's doing when He creates families, doesn't He?

Barbara Stobart said...

It was definitely love at first sight. God certainly did choose the best mommy and daddy for Matthew. Matthew gives the best hugs in the world and he has the cutest giggle in the world. We have all been blessed to have this precious little boy join our family. Love all of you so much.

Lisa A : Izabella said...

Happy Forever Family Day Matthew! What an amazing day that was. I remember following your blog when you met him--and remember how you had such a "glow" about you. It was a beautiful sight indeed. You haven't stopped glowing! New glowing now. :) hee...heee..

Unknown said...

What a neat post. So happy for you guys. He's amazing.
Kelly