Sunday, November 2, 2008

Emotions are running high....



OK, so I don't even know how to start this post, or even what to say in this post. I am so overcome with happiness and emotions right now, and I am so thankful for so many people in my life. It's been hard for me to even start thinking about writing this post - and I am still struggling to find the right words to describe how I feel right now, but I am going to give it a try....

Friday night, Chris and I spent hours cleaning the house. I didn't think too much of it since we really kicked around a lot of dust working in the attic, finishing Matthew's room, and running back and forth from the basement to the garage to the upstairs! SO, when Chris said let's stay home and clean, I didn't argue but I must admit I was getting annoyed as he was still pressing me to keep on cleaning until after 10pm at night. I was so tired, and was getting a bit frustrated with him - I won't lie:) At least HE did the toilets :)

Chris was very restless on Friday night and and got up super early on Saturday morning. I relaxed a bit as I had a little headache and he ran off to get himself a coffee. When I came downstairs I heard the washer going and couldn't figure out what he possibly needed to wash since I did the laundry the night before, but I didn't argue when he told me blankets. I went to work making my taco dip to take to my friend Heather's house, our comfort food for the afternoon! We were getting together to just hang out - or so I thought!

I got a shower, got dressed, and was ready to go to Heather's around 1pm. Little did I know what I was about to walk into when I got to her house! I had no idea my family, Chris's family, and my dearest friends had all gathered for a surprise shower hosted at Heather's house! I think I am still in shock as I think about when I walked in and saw so many of the people I love so much gathered together to celebrate the upcoming adoption of Matthew. Was this really a shower for ME? All of these years I have dreamt about this day to come when I was planning to be a Mommy, and it was FINALLY coming true. I had to walk around and say hello to everyone there - and I just can't believe all of the people that were there. From family members to special friends from college, to college roommates, to work friends - every single person there has had such a big part in my life, especially over these past few years and I am so thankful that each and every person was there to share this special time with me. Even our dear friends Jeff and Bev from Virginia who we got to know when Chris was in the Navy made the trip for the week-end! We haven't seen them in 4 years!!! I hugged my Mom and sister so hard when I walked in, and what a moment that was to learn that they have been plotting behind my back for weeks now! They had stayed in a hotel Friday night after being at Heather's setting up and did everything via email and phone with many different people. They were both so excited and rightfully so because everything was AMAZING!

As most of you know, Chris and I selected the name Matthew because it meant "A Gift from God." Well, my Mom and sister picked out the theme for the shower and it was "A Gift from Above" There were precious plates and napkins that said that, as well as Chinese latterns hanging from the ceiling as well as a neat ceiling hanging. There were balloons, and a gorgeous cake with my favorite desserts from a home bakery! There was also a BIG ladybug balloon - and for those of you who don't know, ladybugs are a sign of good fortune in Chinese adoptions! Then, I need to tell you about the favors. My dear friend Monica made them - blue Chinese take out containers filled with personalized fortune cookies related to Chris, Matthew, and I! They were so special, and I am still taking in everything from this incredible day! There was NOTHING about the shower that was not personal, thoughtful and well thought through.

When I went downstairs to eat with everyone, I noticed the rocker/glider with a huge balloon tied to it by all of my gifts! My Mom, sister, and brother had purchased the glider/rocker with the ottoman for Matthew's room and made it my "special chair" for the shower. Sinking into it, I couldn't believe that everything about the day was happening!


After an AMAZING lunch with tons of food, it was time for presents and boy were there presents! I think every gift was not just one gift, there were so many gifts in each bag! I was so overwhelmed with everything, and just couldn't believe I was opening gifts for MY SON! Matthew was going to have so many neat things to play with when he gets here, and we are going to have so many things to take with us to keep us busy while we are in China! I could never thank everyone enough for all of the amazing, THOUGHTFUL gifts that we received! I had so many special cards, and everyone just seemed so excited to be a part of this incredible afternoon! As a matter of fact, many of the girls from Hershey hadn't seen one another for a while so that was like a mini reunion. My dear friend Monica, who isn't supposed to be traveling at all with only 6 weeks left to go until her due date was there with her Mom. Melissa, my other roommate from college and dear friend came over an hour away and stayed for a little while before getting home to her own daughter's birthday party....Gail, looking oh so cute as a pregnant lady for the second time gave Matthew the cutest homemade box filled with goodies, and it was so wonderful to see her! Georgette - who is waiting for her referral from China brought prizes for games, and my friend Erin came up with fun games to play including one eating toddler druit snacks with chopsticks! (We did make Chris do that later in the evening at home, and I must admit he was pretty good at it, I told him he missed his Mom just stabbing them with the chopsticks which made me laugh!) My Hershey girls were all there, and every single one of them means so much to me. Everyone has been through so many different things in life with me, and I couldn't have gotten to where I am now without each of them helping to carry me through. As far as family goes, I was SO HAPPY that Chris's Mom, sisters, niece Anna, and dear friend Karen were there! That meant the world to me. If I could have completed the guest list, my Aunt Rhonda and Aunt Mary would have been there - but time and distance were the only things that kept them away I am sure.

Of course, there were 2 other people that I would have given anything in the world to have there - Mom-Mom and my Dad. I missed them terribly, moreso than a normal day. My Mom, though, made sure that my Dad especially was a big part of my shower. She wrote me a letter recognizing how much I would want him here, and she gave me my Dad's first china cup as a gift. Of course, there were massive tears - but that was just so special to me. She had also ordered a book for Matthew that taught him the meaning of the colors of China complete with Chinese characters and some history about China. She is just so internet savvy these days! My Dad would be so proud of her for being so strong, and for helping carry us kids through the past few years since he has been gone.

The shower seemed to go so fast , and before I knew it we were cleaning up and packing up the cars. Chris came back with his friend Jeff and they filled my car and then had to go back home and trade vehicles so that we could get the rest of the gifts home including the glider and ottoman. Plus, Chris's Mom gave us Matthew's car seat which was big and took up a lot of room! (*Now, we are all ready Matthew Christopher, you can come anytime!*) We then still had to fill my Mom's car up with things, as well as put some things into Jeff and Bev's car before we could head home.

Once we got home, we put food away and then I got to reopen everything all over again with Chris since he hadn't seen anything yet! It was so much fun doing that, and my Mom, sister, brother, Jeff, and Bev were all there. Heather and Dan then joined us later and it was truly a delightful way to end the day! It was late by the time we headed to bed, and I don't even know what I was thinking when I finalyl drifted off to sleep.

Today was another wonderful day. We got up, had breakfast together, and then got to put more little things up in Matthew's room like his airplane lamp, hamper, and his rug! Just when I think the room can't become any cuter, it can! We all spent a bunch of time in Matthew's room today, and I LOVED seeing my Mom in the glider rocker. She is going to be a natural "Mom-Mom". The 2 cats even hung out too! Jeff and Bev got on their way back to VA. We had a very hard time saying good-bye to Mom, Meg, and David because the week-end was just so perfect and the emotions were running so high. Mom got out all of her planning emails and shared them with me, and it was great. Poor Megan had a bad reaction to her flu shot and she was feeling pretty terrible by the time she left. Good thing Mom was driving.

When everyone left and it was just Chris and I here, we went up and sat in Matthew's room in complete disbelief. Is this really happening to us? Is Matthew really coming into our family forever? Of course then I got really upset and worried that we wouldn't receive our LOA from China and Chris assured me I was being silly. But, it was such an emotional week-end - and I couldn't imagine a more perfect way to end the week-end! Chris lit a fire in the fireplace, and I fell asleep lying on his lap dreaming about our little Matthew in China just waiting for us!

1 comment:

Gail said...

It was such a blessing to be included in your shower, Melissa. I so enjoyed watching you enjoy! The emotion of the day was just a token of how much we all love you and Chris, and how excited we are to meet Matthew. I hope the rest of the waiting flies by, and we are soon having another party to welcome him home!!

Gail