Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad...



Dear Dad –
You are the first person I thought of when I woke up this morning, and I won’t lie and say that tears didn’t slip down my cheeks as all I wanted to do was call you and wish you a Happy Birthday. I know it’s been over 8 years now since you’ve been gone, but I miss you more every day. So, on your birthday today, I thought I’d write you a little note and tell you things that are on my mind.

First of all, I am still trying to get over the fact that my baby sister, your youngest daughter (!) is now a DOCTOR and a WIFE??? I am so proud of her, Dad and I know you are just beaming as you watch how amazing she is. Her courage, determination, and drive for success is amazing. She’s so tough, had had to endure so much, and now she has someone to take care of her and love her like Chris loves me. She loves Rich very much.

Chris misses you terribly too, Dad. Every time he does a project around the house or wants to tell you something, he tells me how much he misses you. I know he looked up to you so much and you are still a big part of what gets him through life. You weren’t just a father-in-law to him…

I just have to tell you about Mom – you can’t believe how much she has taken on and survived in the past 8 years. Her strength is unwavering, and I am so proud of her too. Her energy is endless, and she did an amazing job with Megan’s wedding, but boy did she miss you by her side. You should see the things that she does now as a Mom-Mom – I have actually had to tell her “no” to some things that I have watched her do with Matthew!!! Amazing how being a grandparent has made her forget about all the rules WE had to follow growing up!!!!

David has become an amazing bowler – can you believe he’s bowling in 3 leagues and is doing Special Olympics bowling now too and is totally rocking it? He’s an amazing UNCLE to Matthew, his big heart is worn on his sleeve every day. The two of them have a really cool relationship!

That leads me to Matthew……Your first grandchild is just perfect, Dad. You would just love him. He has brought so much joy to our lives, and I honestly cannot imagine life without Matthew. I am so glad that you showed me by example through the years what is important in life, and how much you and Mom taught me how to be an advocate for your children. I often think about when you started that computer lab at David’s school, and can only imagine what you would be doing to help with Matthew’s education right now. Matthew is strong willed, hard working, and happy, taking huge delight in making people smile….just like his Pop-Pop did. I love being a Mom – I am so thankful to be blessed with Matthew, and we are now awaiting to see who God has selected to be our second child. I’m sure you already know, but we are trying to be patient as we wait to see this plan unfold.

So, even though I can’t see you today Dad and hug you on your birthday, I celebrate you! I celebrate the amazing man that you were and will live on to be. I celebrate the husband you were to Mom and the strong relationship you both had. I think about the card that you left on the table that morning you died unexpectedly for Mom, a beautiful card about “Remember When we first fell in love….” Mom opened it when she got home from the hospital, it was if you knew and were prepared to leave something showing her your love for her. I celebrate the amazing father that you were to David, Megan, and I through the years. I can only hope that I can be as good of a parent as you were never missing any moment of our children’s lives.

Happy Birthday in Heaven, Dad. I miss you like crazy, but I love you more every day!
Love,
Melissa

P.S. Hey Dad, since it’s your birthday, wouldn’t it be great if we receive the approval notice we are waiting on so that we can get our dossier to China? Puuhhllllease????

4 comments:

Kristi said...

reading through tears. So precious, so heartfelt, so REAL!
Love to you!

Laurie said...

Melissa, this is just a beautiful post. I felt like I eavesdropped in on a very private talk you were having with your dad, but I sure loved it. I have a feeling he heard your letter and smiled! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Melissa! Your dad was truly amazing. I didn't get to spend very much time with him but he was an amazing man. Every time he was around we found ourselves smiling he was a fun person to be around. Your letter was beautiful and i know he enjoyed it. You are the person you are because of your mom and him. He is definetly looking down on you.----Wendy

Petrie said...

I agree with Laurie...it felt so personal and private, and yet you shared with us what love really is. Your father was an amazing man, and your husband and son are privileged men to carry on in his footsteps. I am grieving with you as you miss your father.... Love, Petrie