Monday, February 1, 2010

Happy One Year Forever Family Day!!!!

This is me now....one year later!

A GOTCHA DAY TO ALWAYS REMEMBER.....


Dear Matthew.

One year ago on Feb. 2nd, 2009 I woke up in a hotel room on the other side of the world in Beijing, China. Your Daddy and I were so nervous, and we excitedly laid our coats out on the bed waiting to be picked up. This time though, there was an extra coat and a Mickey Mouse backpack filled with goodies for our SON, whom we were about to meet for the very first time. We had dreamt about you for many months, and spent a lot of time praying about our Gotcha moment with you!!!

When we arrived at the orphanage, there was mass chaos with signing papers and being fingerprinted with red ink...we had no idea when they would bring you too us, and our guide wasn't even in the room when they brought you in to us. All of a sudden I looked up and saw the most beautiful little boy coming into the room dressed in a big red coat with the biggest brown eyes I had ever seen.....it was YOU, Matthew! And, it was a moment that I will never forget as long as I live. I picked you up, and you put your cheek right up to mine. Little did I know, we would always share lots and lots of special moments cheek to cheek like that. Within the next few minutes, your Daddy got to hold you too and then we sat on the floor and checked out everything in your backpack. You were then running around the room chasing your Daddy giggling and laughing, and within the next few hours you and I were giggling on the bed at the hotel room! It was like we had been together forever.....and that was the beginning of the most amazing year of my life.
Becoming a Mommy was a dream come true for me, and God surely made a perfect match when he made you our son. What an amazing year it has been watching you grow and watching you learn so many new things! I love all of the "firsts" we have experienced together....life is so different experiencing it through your eyes!!!! Not only have you mastered things like running up and down the steps, eating with a fork and spoon, getting your shoes and socks on, putting puzzles together, riding a tricycle, and so much more - but you have surely mastered winning the hearts of everyone you come into contact with! You are not only an amazing son, but a grandson, a nephew, a cousin, a friend, a student, and an A+patient! Your year was not only filled with having your world turned upside down leaving China, playtime and meeting milestones - it's also been filled with doctor's appointments, surgeries, therapies, and lots and lots of tests!!!

You are such a trusting and amazing little boy....you have stolen your Daddy and I's hearts, and we are the luckiest people in the world to have you as our child. You have made us stronger, more trusting, faithful, and compassionate. We have learned sign language together, and have created a bond that we share that is 100% built on love. You taught us you certainly don't have to hear to feel love. You taught us that a giggle and a smile from you with those big brown eyes can make everything else in the world go away. You give the best, tightest hugs in the entire world and sitting there cheek to cheek with you in the BEST feeling in the entire world.

I love you Matthew Christopher, and I can't believe that you have been in our lives a year already! It's been the best year of my life, and your Daddy and I cannot wait to see what this next year brings!!! Happy Forever Family Day my dear child....

Love, Mommy

12 comments:

Megsahokie said...

I LOOOOOOOOOOVE my Matty!

Anonymous said...

Oh Melissa-
Congrats on this huge milestone. I think of you often and wonder how you are doing. Treasure these moments because they go so fast. Johnny turns 4 tomorrow it's so hard to believe. We miss you guys so much!!!! Take care and God Bless you and your beautiful family!!!!
--Doug, Wendy, Alexis and Johnathan

Petrie said...

So precious, Melissa! Happy Family Day.

Laurie said...

That video had me in tears- your love for him was evident from day one and it's just grown stronger in this year filled with many blessings and challenges. Happy Gotcha day to all of you- a truly beautiful family!

jamie eager said...

Melissa and Chris,

I cannot believe its been a year already. I am so happy for you all. Hopefully you can make THON this year and show off Matthew.

Love to you all,

Jamie

Sharon said...

Happy Forever Family Day to all of you!!! He is a precious boy with precious parents!!!

Lisa A said...

Oh from a mothers heart...I don't recall seeing this video Melissa..it's precious, brings tears to my eyes! He is so amazing...and I can only say "you are all the most loving, courageous and strongest family I know."

God Bless You over and over again this coming year and for years to come.

Anonymous said...

Matthew has brought so much joy, love and happiness to our family. He is the most precious little boy and I love him soooooooooo much. He sure has the best mommy. I love little Matthew with all my heart and soul. Mom Mom

Lisa said...

Such a beautiful post and precious video! Happy Gotcha Day Matthew!!!

Kristi said...

You know, it's really hard to read when there are tears streaming...
What a beautiful, heartfelt post!
Happy Forever Family day to one of my favorite families in blog land. Can't wait to move you into the "I've met them" category!
Much love!
Kristi

Anna said...

Dear God, today I thank you for the blessing of little Matthew. He may only be two years old but, in the past year he taught me so much. He has taught me that love is unbreakable && that no matter what hardships you have to endure, You, our Father, help us all to get through them. Amen. (:

Lisa A said...

Just me again..had to check in on you and see that amazing video again.

You are so precious.

And wanted to say, "here's to one more procedure down!"

Do they have "A's" to put to these proceedures--seems to me this is as painful as waiting for your child to be delivered in the adoption process. OK...so it's a different pain...but they should assign "A's". As much as I disliked the "A's" it did give you a way to click off the steps to the end of the wait/pain. :)

Love and God Bless