Monday, July 4, 2011

A Family of FOUR!!!




Eventually, we will get back to journaling about our adventure here to Wuhan, it was a very long 27 hours of traveling, and we ended it extremely tired, emotional, and petrified about what this morning was going to bring.

We had a lovely wake up at 330am, then 5am when we all decided to get up for the day, and got the room semi-organized then went to breakfast. Matthew actually fell asleep in our arms and we traded holding him as we just waited to be picked up to head to the Civil Affairs office.

Matthew may be non-verbal, but he sure knows how to communicate his emotions and fears and he was SCARED TO DEATH this morning as we walked into the Civil Affairs office. We believe whole heartedly that he thought we were leaving him there. From him hanging on desperately to his backpack to making Chris take his shoes off to prove we were all staying with him....he said it all!

BUT, when a very upset, crying little sister was brought into the room - the big brother dove right into action and ran over starting to try and give her Cheerios....it was priceless. Our hearts broke so much for him and for Hope as she was just devastated. As it turns out her foster parents (for the past 11 months now) had dropped her off this morning to the orphanage staff and Hope didn't know them well either so she was just so upset.

What a gorgeous little baby she is, and she took our breath away the minute she was brought into the room. We immediately noticed she had a black eye under her left eye and face and they stated she had fallen a few days ago :( Poor thing....looks like a big shiner on a tiny little face! Her little leg was in a brace and she clung so tightly to her pink book - the PHOTO ALBUM we sent her!!! And, she was wearing the onesie and little slipper socks we had sent her as well. Wow...and we have 2 cameras full of pictures of her and a baby album from her orphanage as well. We got to meet the director of the orphanage and he was a very nice man.

Hope didn't stop crying really until the minute we walked out of the Civil Affairs Office. The minute we got into the van, Matthew shut the door and saluted the driver. His personality changed instantly the minute we were back in the van and he was back to our Matthew...you have NO idea what that did for Chris and I's hearts that have been breaking so bad the past 24 hours for him.

The next thing we knew Hope was giggling at her Daddy, we heard Gaga(brother), Baba(Daddy), and mama. She KNEW who we were....what a precious moment those few minutes were. We then trekked through the store to get some waters, etc. and headed back to the hotel.

Hope and Matthew have been playing, have taken a bath together, and are now resting this afternoon quietly. Daddy is asleep too, and I can't believe I am posting pictures of my TWO absolutely beautiful, miracle children......really? Has this really happened? Our guide even seemed shocked at how Hope transitioned in a matter of moments, we are thankful that the first few hours have gone well for ALL of us. We know each moment is a new adventure, we are just so thankful at how smoothly things have gone so far.

We are looking forward to playtime this evening and just spending time as a FAMILY OF FOUR!!!!!!!!

Happy 4th of July everyone....we have the most precious children in the world to be thankful for!!!!
















21 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, Melissa..the picture of you holding Hope (where she's holding her photo album)..just GORGEOUS!! I don't think I ever truly understood just how incredibly happy I could be for someone else..until now. Look at Matty pointing and showing her how to use that toy!! Such a helpful big brother!! Aaaahhh..you know that whole "My cup is overflowing" expression? Yeah..that definitely applies here. Enjoy the rest of your time in China with Chris and your TWO beautiful babies!!! :) xo.

Amy tubbs said...

First thing I did when I woke up is look for THIS!!! Oh my is she as pretty as we thought!! AND to see her and Matthew playing together!!! I think her wonderful foster family prepared her SO well!! I pray that Matthew will now realize your purpose there and be able to relax- poor thing!!! He looks like a great big brother!! Hope you all have a good night's sleep!!

Mom Mom said...

Welcome to the family, Hope. Oh my God you are absolutely beautiful and so very cute. You took my breath away. I can't wait for you to come home. Matthew, you are the best big brother. I miss you little buddy. I am beyond excited and thrilled for your family of four. Sending lots of love, kisses, and hugs to all of you. I am now a proud grandmother of two gorgeous children. Love all of you soooooo very much.

Christine said...

OMG! She is gorgeous! I am sooooo happy for you guys. Enjoy the rest of your trip and we will be following along. I was crying looking at the pictures and reading your post. Such a special time for the whole family. Take Care. Christine, Christopher and Cadie :)

Megsahokie said...

Yay!!!! I cannot wait to meet her on skype! So excited! I love her already! Too bad Matty didn't give her any boinks yet ;-)

Unknown said...

WOW!!!! Look at that smile on her! Loved reading about your experience and I'm so happy for you!!!!
Kelly

Lisa A said...

OH MY GOODNESS GOD IS SOOOOO VERY GOOD! I am soooooo happy Hope is transitioning so well--what an answer to prayer. All I could think when you said it went so well, was WOW! So much trauma for her that day--yet she showed so much courage and strength. And she knows who you are already--that foster family was a blessing to her--they prepared her so well. These things will surely have a lasting and beautiful impact on her as she grows into the amazing woman--she surely will be.

"He gives Beauty for Ashes, Strength for Fear, Gladness for Mourning, and Peace for Dispare" -Isaiah 61

God did give her BEAUTY--goodness she is seriously gorgeous! That smile and laugh--oh my!!! So blessed--truly!

And as for Matthew--poor little thing--I'm sure he didn't understand--but you know--after this trip--surely it will be evident to him more than any words he could hear--that you WILL NEVER LEAVE HIM. As tough as this was--it has so much sweetness--and peace for his heart--as is evident in the pics of him playing with his precious sister--teaching her already!

And I am overwelmed with the "glow about you and Chris" I recall this special look--when you met Matthew--but each time I am touched by how your love and joy shines through you from the inside out--the whole world can actually see it all over your face. It's amazing.

Sooooo happy for you call--anxious to keep up with how you're doing. It's sure to be a wonderful trip--new beginnings--again--for you all--a precious family of 4.

C.R.Woolie said...

I am so happy for you all! Sounds like Hope is transitioning well, and what a blessing that she knew who you were!! Enjoy your trip, and enjoy getting to know your newest family member! Love, Sarah

Petrie said...

OH Melissa I am so happy for you! she is just adorable and her smile is beyond beautiful! Love you and your family so much! Hope the next few days just keep getting better and better! Hugs, P.

Joy said...

I am so happy for you. She is such a sweetie pie!!!! I can't wait to follow the rest of your journey.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! So happy for all of you! Enjoy your days ahead and safe travels for you! Geez you picked up matthew on johnny's bday and hope on my birthday what a coincidence!
Take care and lots of pics I hope...Wendy, Doug, Alexis and Johnny

Anonymous said...

Congratz! Truly such a beautiful family! Hope is such a cutie! Happy 4th to you guys~
God Bless
-Kirstie Bikakis

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. I cannot say much else. Your beautiful family is made in Heaven. You look like you have always been together. In China or America, the four of you are home. God bless the Roseleveges. Love, Denise & Reggie

Anonymous said...

Love,love, love!!!!! She is beautiful!! Just so awesome to see you as a family of FOUR!!!

Jamie eager said...

Melissa and Chris,
As I'm sitting here reading your post, with tears of joy rolling down my face. I cannot think of a more deserving family. We love you and cannot wait to meet your beautiful little girl and spoil "our" boy!

Love you all,

Jamie and craig

Kim said...

Yay! She is so adorable! I did not even realize that you had left yet! Praying for you all!

Michelle said...

Hooray for Hope! I am delighted to read your post and know that you are finally a family of four! Praying for you and your sweet family. Hugs. Michelle

Stephanie said...

So, so precious! Congrats on being a family of FOUR!!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Congratulations! Happy Gotcha Day!! Hope is perfect!

Blessings,
Sara

Lisa said...

Glory! Glory! Glory! I love it when God shows us His glory and it's all over your family right now! Congratulations! May you continue to grow and adjust to being a family of four!

Rachelle said...

Congratulations! Hope is so precious! Praying Matthew is feeling more secure and Hope is adjusting well. Hugs!