
I have no idea truly who reads this blog except those who comment, so before you read this, just know this is going to be a very honest post.....it's been a rough day and half. I say half because I've been up since 430AM, and was only able to go to bed a little before 1am. To put it point blank, I am tired. I am tired and I am emotional - they don't usually go well together, but that's where I am at.
Yesterday started out with going to the hospital at 9 to get Matthew's catheter out. The resident that did it was nice enough, but I was very annoyed at the fact he didn't wash his hands before or after he touched Matthew, and that he cut Matthew with the scissors he was using to cut his splint off....come on now, he's got enough to heal without adding a cut into it. Chris and I didn't know what to expect when the dressing came off.........but, wow! No wonder the little guy hurt!!! Now, we have to use Neosporine twice a day to open the meatus for 10 days and Vaseline his diapers so nothing sticks to them. Not so bad....Well, after that was done, we tried taking Matthew to do fun things like feed the ducks and get a sprinkle donut, as well as make a stop at Target which he loves but he just wasn't into doing anything but being held. We got home, and I thought for sure he would nap for a few hours. After all, he was exhausted and shouldn't kids sleep when they are that tired??? Haha....I wish. Instead his poor little body went into his episodes, and his Mommy and Daddy just got very upset 1) because we can't control them and 2)because we are exhausted ourselves. Then add the fact that my endometriosis has been kicking in full speed ahead and you really get one emotionally drained Mommy. I then decided to try to take Matthew to the grocery store thinking he would like to ride in his car cart he likes so much........wrong, he decided it was then time for Mommy to hold him so he could fall asleep.......made for a long, heavy shopping trip. Daddy was home cleaning out the garage so at least he was productive> Back home, we could do nothing to console Matthew so we gave him some pain medication and got him to eat for the first time, but he just cried and whined and needed to be held. He got his nighttime medications around 745, and we were thinking he'd be asleep by 9. Well, even if he wanted to be asleep his episodes were in full gear until almost 1am........add that to an already drained Mommy and Daddy.....Oh, 1AM and finally sleeping, thank goodness. Wait, it's only 430AM and he's up already having more episodes and crying??? Oh no.....even tried some extra Benadryl thinking that might give us a little bit of time for sleep to no success. And, in all actuality we'd rather him be up playing than having his ongoing episodes..........but still, it's hard to want to play cars and trains when I am so tired and feeling lousy........
OK, now I am have whined some - I don't think it made me feel better, but I guess I wanted to recognize that I am maybe normal to feel this way at times? I feel guilty as a new Mom feeling exasperated at times, especially to a child that has so many needs at this time - and I know I am just exhausted this morning, and needed a good cry, but it's still hard. We just want our baby to be better, we want someone to figure out these neurological episodes that are heartwrenching to watch....he truly is the love of our lives, and we just want to help him in all the ways we possibly can.















12 comments:
Oh, Melissa, how difficult. You are absolutely normal...the stories I could share about feeling the same way with our first child. And the second. and the third. Mothering is not a cake walk, and when you factor in the child's special needs, it can make for a huge guilt trip. Make sure you take some of those grocery trips by yourself just to get away and be alone. We all need it, even if we don't want to recognize it. I'll talk to you more later. Love, Petrie
My heart breaks for you because I think I know where you are at. Our oldest (Ryan, who is now 21) has asthma. From the ages of 3-4 it was really bad. I can't tell you how many sleepless night were spent watching him trying to breath. Wishing I could make it stop. Meds and breathing treatments did very little to help unless he was admitted to the hospital. It is the most gut wrenching feeling ever to helplessly watch your child suffer!
You are so very normal! I'm hoping that knowing there are people praying for your family and Matthew's healing helps some. May God show himself to be an awesome and restorative healer in Matthews life!!!
I hope today was better than last night. I'm so sorry this has been so hard on ALL of you.
Melissa,
More people read than you know, that's for sure! Your blog is the perfect place to come and vent, vent, vent. What you're feeling is normal, but your situation is far from normal, so please feel free to come and whine all you want. I often wish my listening ear and shoulder weren't so far away.
Hugs from St. Louis!!
Laurie
Melissa,
You have every right to vent! It's very frustrating when you don't have the answers to help your child. A very wise ped.doctor once told me that i too needed some tender loving care because that was the only way I could be there for Matt when he would be up all night with his asthma. It does get better it's just that he's been through so much in short amount of time and right now you have a full plate with everything else. You know how to find us and we're more than willing to give you break!
Peg
Melissa
Hang in there! Evrything you are feeling is normal..try not to feel guilty...that is just a lie...you are an amazing mom and Matthew is so blessed to be cared for by loving parents.
I will be praying for you!
Kim
(((((hugs))))) Feeling this way is so totally normal, even without having a child with special needs like Matthew does. Add those in, and I'm amazed at how well you've held up so far. I continue to pray for all three of you every day - not just for Matthew, but for you and Chris as well. Know that you are in the thoughts and prayers of so many out here, and we are always here to listen.
I'm praying for you!
Melissa,
If you didn't vent you wouldn't be normal. I know about these things. You definitely need to take grocery store trips by yourself, you need your time to regroup. Sleep will come when its time, you know I am here. I'm only a phone call away, when your ready to sleep call, I will be there.
Love you all,
Jamie
Oh wow Melissa-how I so want to carry your burden with you and I know by continuing to pray for your sweet adorable angel we try to help carry it. I cannot imagine what you are walking the word that comes to mind is weary-"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28
I pray God will give you the rest you need to be able to do what you most want to do-love and help Matthew. I know as I have said before God hand chose you two to be Matthew's mom and dad and He will give you all you need even when you can't imagine how. What you have gone through has to be exausting in so many ways. You are both an example to all who hear Matthew's story and God's smile shines down on you daily. I pray for you all and healing for Matthew. Much love Jennifer
Melissa and Chris, You are in my thoughts and prayers often. Everything you are writing is so normal to feel, and good that you recognize the need to express your frustrations, fatigue, and anything and everything you are thinking. It is all so overwhelming. Know that you are loved and your love for Matthew will bring you through all this. Hang in there, and please let me know if you need anything. Cara
Oh Melissa--Of course this is difficult..and no guilt..it's plain and simple VERY HARD to go through all this. Although Matthew is going through a lot...SO ARE YOU! You're an angel to be the amazing mom you are--so...don't ever feel guilty.
I know you know all the blessings in all this--but they sure are hard to remember when you're so exhausted you can't see straight. And you know what-that's ok! We still know you have a beautiful and grateful heart..no matter if you get frustrated and tired.
I'll continue to pray for some mountains to be moved and you can get back to a little bit of normal! Hang in there my friend--God is there--He really is--I'll pray that He gives you some comfort--SOON!!!
Love,
Lisa
Post a Comment